These stories have been published as an eBook and a paperback. They are available from several vendors.
The Mage and Boffin series of stories are short stories mainly about two remarkable people. Imagine a world where, at some time in the past, people became unable to understand each other and unable to make sense of things written down. Since that time, they have redeveloped language and rediscovered writing.
Some old tales from before the time of the Forgetting were written down soon after the event, but language and writing has changed, as it does, and the old documents have to be carefully studied and deciphered.
The Mage and Boffin stories are deciphered documents from that time. As such, they may contradict one another, as really old documents often do. These stories have links to the stories of Affie’s world, as in the story called “The Castle” and some of my other longer stories.
In order of reading, the stories are :
- The King Gets What He Wants (approx 2,300 words)
- Golden Hair and the Bears (approx 1,500 words)
- Dragon on the Roof (approx 2,900 words)
- The Quest (approx 9,400 words)
- The Forgetting (approx 4,800 words)
- Ella and the Prince (approx 2300 words)
- The Boy Who Followed the Dragons (approx 5,500 words. Prequel to “Dragon on the Roof”)
- The Robot Life (approx 1,700 words)
- The Red Hoodie Gang (approx 3,600 words)
- A Bit of a Muddle (approx 3,600 words)
- The Great Scientist (approx 4,700 words)
- Three Wishes (approx 4,000 words)
- Duplicated Man (approx 4,900 words)
- Together (approx 6,800 words)
- A Chat with God (approx 2,900 words)
- Sea Dragons (approx 7,100 words)
- Water, as Far as the Eye Can See (approx 7,200 words)
- Selene Base (approx 9,300 words)
- Cloud Skiing (approx 1,300 words)
- Mouse’s Friend (approx 2,900 words)
- Twins (approx 4,500 words)
- Mouse and Moth (approx 10,100 words)
- The Man in the Mountain (approx 8,300 words)
The following stories have not yet been published in a collection :
- Doh (approx 7,600 words)
- The Boy, the Girl, and the Dragon (approx 10,000 words)
- The World Within (approx 10,100 words)
- How to Save a World (approx 12,500 words)
- A Man on a Quest (approx 13,400 words)
- The Assassin and his Mistress (approx 9,300 words)
- Being Dead (approx 2,900 words)
- Flickering (approx 6,800 words)
- The Dichotomy (approx 3,900)
- I am the Apocalypse (approx 3,100)
If you would like to read all the Mage and Boffin stories, you can download a zip file here. These files may contain updated versions of the individual files, and may contain extra files that that are not in the list above. However, I will try to keep the individual files in step with the zip files.